SynopsisThis guide will show you how to create a reusable workflow in SharePoint Designer.
Applicable toAll PlexHosted SharePoint 2010 accounts.
- a PlexHosted SharePoint 2010 account
- a PlexHosted SharePoint 2010 sit
- SharePoint Designer
Introduction: SharePoint 2010 gives you an ability to create a reusable workflow and associate it to a content type. Then you can easily associate this workflow to a library or list that uses this content type. What is more, you can make this workflow globally reusable and you will be able to use this workflow at any site or sub site within your site collection.
- First of all you need to create a new content type for reusable workflow (you can associate a reusable workflow to the existing content type as well). Create a content type like shown at the screen below (note that we`ve created a new Experience Level column of Choice type with values – blank, Beginner, Intermediate and Specialist and added it to this new content type):
- The next step is to create a list that uses this newly created content type. Let`s create the Employee Experience list and add the Experience Level Content type as default to this list.
- Create new list.
- Click on List settings – Advanced settings.
- Under the Allow management of content types? choose Yes and click OK.
- Return to List Settings page and click on Add from existing site content types hyperlink.
- Add the Experience Level Content type to the list.
- Click on Change new button order and default content type hyperlink and set this content type as default for the Employee Experience list.
- Modify the view of the list so that it contains all required fields.
- Now open your SharePoint site in the SharePoint Designer.
- Click on Reusable Workflow button to create new workflow.
- Enter the name and description of new workflow, choose your newly created content type in the Content type field and click OK.
- Define the steps of your new workflow. In our example, we created a simple workflow which will set the employee experience level according to the years of experience of employee.
- Click on Publish.
- Then click on Workflow Settings.
- At the Workflow Settings click on Associate to List. You will see all the lists that use Experience Level Content type in the drop-down menu. Choose the newly created Employee Experience list.
- A new Add a workflow tab should open in your browser. Choose Experience Level Content type in the Content type section. Select the Experience RW reusable workflow template in the Workflow section. Give a unique name for this workflow.
- Choose the start options for your workflow and click OK.
- You will see that the Experience reusable workflow has been created.
- To check how this workflow works add the new item to the Employee Experience list. Click on Add new item or click at the New Item drop-down menu in Items tab and choose Experience Level Content type.
- Fill in the form with the necessary data. You can leave the experience level field blank or choose the incorrect value in it in order to check how the workflow will update this field.
- Refresh the page and you will see that the status of our workflow is Completed and the Experience level is set to Beginner.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the PlexHosted support staff.