SynopsisThis guide will show you how to create drop-down menu in the SharePoint Foundation subsite via SharePoint Designer.
Applicable toPlexHosted SharePoint Foundation 2010 accounts.
- a PlexHosted SharePoint Foundation account
- a PlexHosted SharePoint 2010 Foundation site
- Microsoft SharePoint Designer
- Log in to the SharePoint main site as a Site Collection administrator and make sure that SharePoint Designer and Customizing Master Pages and Page Layouts are enabled at your site collection. To do this go to the Site Actions - Site Settings and choose SharePoint Designer Settings under the Site Collection Administration header.
- See whether the Enable SharePoint Designer and Enable Customizing Master Pages and Page Layouts options are checked or check them if they are not. Then click OK.
- Open the SharePoint subsite in the SharePoint Designer and choose Master Pages at the Navigation menu.
- Make a copy of the current master page (SharePoint 2010 uses v4.master by default). You may also edit the current master page directly, but working with a copy may be more secure and convenient).
- If you`ve made a copy of the master page rename it (do not remove .master extension in the new name).
- Click on this new master page and click on Edit file.
- You can see the new master page in the editor tool. Find SiteMapDataSource-topSiteMap bar and click the top-right > arrow.
- Choose New Data Source and a Data Source Configuration Wizard window will appear.
- Click on Site Map and specify the ID for the data source as SiteMapDataSource1. Click OK.
- Press Refresh Schema and Commit changes in the Common AspMenu Tasks menu.
- Choose the Code view of the master page (at the bottom of the editor window). The code in the SharePoint :AspMenu tag should be like this:
- Click on Save button in SharePoint designer (you may also right click on the tab and then to choose Save).
- Right-click on the newly created master page and choose Set as Default Master Page.
- Now you can review you changes in SharePoint.
- Main SharePoint Foundation site.
- SharePoint Foundation subsite.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the PlexHosted support staff.